Sunday, July 31, 2011

RASTAFARI

This weekend I went to the Rastafarian festival!


It is a  week-long festival to celebrate the 119th birthday of the former emperor of Ethipia Haile Selassie whom they worship as God incarnate. The first few days are church service but the last two days they play music and sell arts and crafts. 


What is very interesting about the Rastas is their spiritual use of cannabis. They consider it a sacrament and its use is often accompanied by Bible study. They have a group prayer every time before they smoke. 


Matt and I took a bus to Judah Square, an underdeveloped community (called township here) around noon. Walked around a bit and stopped at a yard where we met Congo, Lee, Simon, and others
Judah Square





We told them that we were here for the festival and they said that the music would start much later. So we sat down and hung out with them. They all had very cool dreadlocks and talked in a very distinctive Rasta accent. Instead of a handshake they hit their fists and say "respect" or "rastafari". They were some of the nicest people I've ever met. Talked about their religion and philosophized about life and how we should recognize all people as brothers. I'm not a religious person but I do agree with their inclusive philosophy of brotherhood. They also gave us some tasty unleavened bread made with wild garlic and cooked over a grill and we ate it with a banana. Again, very generous and welcoming people. 


I really liked the fact that in the middle of the conversation they would spontaneously burst into song and dance. After a few verses we would continue talking. They were very happy, but also very thoughtful (which can be partly attributed to the cannabis). 





Rasta Friends



Irie mon!
After a few hours Matt went home, but I decided to stay to listen to the concert. I walked around town with Lee and we played pool at the Jah Works B&B.  We also met Sister Kerri and more people around town including some of the musicians who were playing that night. 


Murals of Haile Selassie at Jah Works B&B
Jah Works B&B
Only until around 7 did the music start at the tent, but by that time there were no more buses back to Thesen Island. Sister Kerri told me that it was no problem we would find someone who could give me a ride. Even though it was a humble community I felt very comfortable around them and I knew safety was not an issue. 


So the music came and the people came, black and white, to sing and dance and enjoy the reggae music. It was a great time. 

Awesome Music
Also, Rastas practice herbalism and they had many wild plants for sale for many dif

ferent purposes, anything from cancer to sexual performance. At one point Lee gave me a wooden stick, I didn't know what to do with it so I asked him. He said it was a sweet root so I tried it and it was pretty good. Its better than chewing gum. In fact I'm chewing some right now.

The Rastafarian word of the day is..... 


"Irie" (pronounced "eye-ree"), a term used to denote acceptance, positive feelings, or to describe something that is good. Like "Everyting is irie mon" or "RESPECT man, live life irie and you will lead a happy life."

No comments:

Post a Comment