Monday, July 18, 2011

J-Bay Billabong Pro

I had an awesome week. I've been hard at work during the day but when the clock hits 5:00 I join Werner and/or Liezel in a mad dash to Buffels Bay to go surfing. Last week we went Monday-Thursday.
We have to rush because it is wintertime and we are pretty far south of the equator so the days are very short. The sun sets before 6:00.
Here is a picture
Surfing with Pokercito
I've been able to ride a few waves but once I really get the feel for timing the wave I feel I'll do better. It is harder than I expected.

Werner, Matt and I went to the Billabong Pro surfing competition at Jeffrey's bay on Sunday. It was fun but the waves were very flat so there was no competition. They advertise it as a 11 day event but there are only 3 days of actual competitions. I did get to buy some souvenirs and a big poster of the amazing J-bay's waves.


Today was Nelson Mandela's birthday. He is a very inspirational figure and a hero in the true sense. I'm starting to read his autobiography Long Walk to Freedom. One can only hope to be as kind and compassionate a person as him.

There is a movement that inspires individuals to to take action to help change the world for the better on Madiba's (his Xhosa clan name) day. It asks for people to donate an hour of their day to a charitable cause. Here at the office we decided to plant some trees. I'll upload pictures soon!




The Afrikaans word for today is......... BILTONG - Jerky. They have beef jerky but also ostrich and kudu.

No comments:

Post a Comment